Monday, August 25, 2014

A wee bit 'o Irish

As a child I knew very little about my Irish roots. In fact, that I was Irish at all. If my sister & I spent St. Patrick's Day with our father he would make the comment that we were the only Irish in the house. One year he was challenged by my step-sister Dawn, " how are they Irish? ". I listened that time.

Eventually I knew the facts. My maternal grandmother was 1/2 Irish from her mother. Technically that made me 1/8th. In middle school I met a friend that was full Irish. Really. Her grandparents were fresh off the boats. I went to the Westside Irish American club. I ate Irish food. I went to the St. Patrick's Day parade, etc. All with the family of this friend. It was more than my family had ever taught me about my "Irishness".

I'd venture to say I'm closest to my Irish line for the simple reason that it's my mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA). mtDNA is passed down the female line. Although males receive a copy from their mother's, they do not pass it on. It also has a much slower mutation rate.

My maternal grandmother was an accident and was 20 years younger than her eldest sibling. Her mother's name was Mary Logan Evans and she died when my grandmother was 11 years old due to kidney failure. She died in August 1933 in Cleveland, Ohio and was only 53 years old. Since she died when my grandmother was so young, little was known of Mary.

This is what I know of Mary from oral history and my own research:

Mary was born to John Logan & Agnes Quinn in County Cork Ireland; however, conflicting records also show her born near Downpatrick Northern Ireland in October 1878 or 1879.

Her father, John, first left Ireland for the US. Her mother Agnes set sail at a later date, departing from England, arriving with Mary and two brothers (Patrick & John) in 1883. Mary was 5 years old and as a result, could recall very little of her time in Ireland.

Once in the US she raised Belgian Malinois for Cleveland PD. No known photos or personal stories about her exist. She was interred at Calvary Catholic Cemetery in Cleveland, Ohio.

d#: 0093040
Name: Evans, Mary
Date: Aug 1 1933
Source: Source unknown;  Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #023.
Notes: Evans: Mary, beloved wife of Isaac Evans, mother of Mrs. James Sullivan, Williams, Albert, John and Margaret Evans, sister of Patrick Logan, Mrs. X. F. Pasdersky and Mrs. Stewart Herbison, at her residence, 9321 Cassius Ave. Funeral Saturday, Aug. 19. Services at Holy Name Church at 9 a. m.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I have Logans from Ballynahinch, County Down. Not sure if there is a link between your Logans and mine although both families belonged to same parish. Your family is from Drumaness. If you have an email I will send you a note.

    ReplyDelete