Sunday, August 10, 2014

Giants Among Us

I've been a bit behind but today I caught up. When I looked in my book, I smiled, and then I didn't know what to say.

What do you say about a woman that was so great? A woman that wasn't a giant amongst women but a giant amongst humans? I truly mean that. She was wonderful.

I've previously documented how I came to correspond with her. I was transferring an old address book and was curious about this old timer Polachek still alive.

Her name was Arlene. In blood she wasn't my aunt but that didn't matter. She was married to, had children with, and deeply loved my Great-Uncle Steve. Blood or not, she was my family.

Aunt Arlene was born a Dahm to a (mostly) German family. She had two sisters named Audrey and Germaine. I don't quite recall how she met Uncle Steve but I believe it involves a friend of a friend with school.

Aunt Arlene flanked by her sisters.

She said growing up during WWII she didn't face any anti-german sentiment but confessed most of her time was spent worrying about Uncle Steve.

My mom tells great stories of spending time at her house. Uncle Steve apparently liked to " temporarily " fix things. Aunt Arlene would beg him to call my grandfather but alas no. (My grandfather was a Mr. Fix-it type!) He would relent and she said in one letter, " If I had a penny for each time I said " Please call Frank!" ".

In her lifetime she buried her sisters, a child, her husband, various friends, and various family members.

This story always stuck with me, and I'm not sure why but I luckily have the original letter still.
A couple of years after Steve died I attended a funeral for a friend - really more just a coworker, of his that we were friendly with. At the funeral I saw the man's wife and she made the comment to me that Steve & her husband were having a great time up in heaven partying. Meanwhile, we were down here miserable. A few years later, she died and I felt like gee thanks for the support.
I miss you Aunt Arlene, as does your immediate family, and anyone that was lucky enough to have known you. Till we see you again.


No comments:

Post a Comment